Blog Review on Miles Garcia’s
Social Action Inquiry Question #1 on Ender’s
Game
I read Miles’
blog post on Ender’s Game and I thought it was very beautifully crafted.
Miles answered the question “what really difficult or complex things are
happening in the text?” and I thought he answered it perfectly. He clearly
displays all of the issues that make the text complex into three paragraphs.
Even though I didn't read the book, Miles makes me want to read it and gives me
a pretty strong overview of what I will read.
The first
thing that triggered my attention was that Miles organized his answer to his
inquiry question into a three-body-paragraph-like system where it would be
easier to comprehend. His first body paragraph contains the complex issue of
isolation. Miles is clearly able to explain the meaning of isolation and its
role in this book as an issue. For instance, he explains how Ender is avoided
and how he doesn't have any “real” friends. In this paragraph, I really liked
how he elaborated on the isolation quote by replacing it with "Why are
they isolating me?" It really shows that Miles goes in-depth about what
the characters are thinking and feeling.
Another
thing that really attracted my attention was that Miles’ post was brief and
straight to the point. A lot of blog posts usually contain “fluff” to add to
the contents of the post, but Miles’ blog post on Ender’s Game really
stood out from the rest of his blog posts. For example, in his second “body
paragraph,” he elaborates on the complex issue of bullying thoroughly. He
explains how Ender is bullied numerous times throughout the book and at the
same time, he implies that bullying should be ceased whenever it’s encountered
in real life. Miles says, “[Ender] knows that the teachers will not help him
confront the bullies, so he faces this issue…” This Is really impressive
because Miles supports his cause at the same time as expanding on the
complexity of the issue.
Overall, I
believe Miles’ blog is outstanding. Miles’ post makes me want to read Ender’s
Game because of the brief overview that he gives of it in his third “body
paragraph.” He implies that the book is a science fiction book in a dystopian
setting when he mentions the key words, “alien,” “hive queen,” “genocide,” and
more. Moreover, the complex issues that Miles lists, really makes me want to
know how Ender handles them. For instance, I’m curious to find out how Ender
deals with isolation, peer pressure, bullying, and the morality of killing an
entire race. All in all, I believe Miles achieved his goal with this blog
post; he has made me start to think about these complex issues in the world and
makes me want to take action.
Here is a link to Miles' outstanding Blog:
http://vaktoviandiaries.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment